Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Leanne Davies...




One of the students from:
The School of Jewellery, Birmingham Institute of Art & Design, UCE
http://2006.noesis.org.uk/

Leanne Davies

"Coming from a textiles background I set myself the challenge of finding a way to combine my textile knowledge with jewellery making. I used my knowledge of print techniques and enamelling to develop a new way of producing imagery on fine metal mesh. Animals and plants are my visual inspiration. Our earliest ancestors saw animals not just as food to be hunted but also as companions in a world context that made up their existence. Animals that inspire me as shapes have been used to form the basis of the imagery in my work. Flowers have been adapted and stylised to compliment the animal silhouettes.



I am interested in colour, texture and pattern. As a textile designer I have a need to produce pattern. My patterns are not only meant to form a backdrop for the jewellery pieces, the prints are meant to produce a stylised world for the jewellery to inhabit.
Research into costume detailing has been used to further reinforce the cross-over between textile production and jewellery. Details such as collars and cuffs have been adapted to produce jewellery pieces".

No comments: