Sunday, January 6, 2008

Julia de Ville...








Julia de Ville
from Collingwood, Australia

http://www.discemori.com/

I have once added some of Julia de Villes jewellers to my blog, but I have to do it again, because I think they are so interesting so on the edge in a good way and I want to show the whole world what you can do if you find a bird or a mice or what ever, I really, really love the idea of making jewelleries of that you find.
I’m must tell that I’m a big fan of her jewelleries!
So keep up the good work, collecting more dead animals and transform them into the jeweller world.


"My jewellery is inspired by the Memento Mori jewellery of the fifteenth to eighteenth centuries and Victorian Mourning jewellery. I find the acceptance of death in these periods fascinating.

I work predominately in traditional gold and silversmithing, combined with materials that were once living such as jet, a petrified wood historically used in Victorian Mourning jewellery, human hair and taxidermy. I use these materials as a Memento Mori, or reminder of our mortality.

I incorporate the symbols of death through out my work because I think it is important to identify with the concept that we are in fact, mortal creatures. The nature of our culture is to obsess over planning the future, however in doing so, we forget to enjoy the present.

I consider my taxidermy to be a celebration of life, a preservation of something beautiful. I feel strongly about the fair and just treatment of animals and to accentuate this point I use only animals that have died of natural causes".




Info from one of the best jewellery sites on the internet, Klimt02
http://www.klimt02.net/k02_infonews/index.php

No comments: