Friday, February 29, 2008

Anthony Roussel...




“The synthesis between drawing and architecture are the fundamental re occurring themes in my work. The jewellery I create function as sculptural objects as well as wearable pieces of body adornment in their own right. Mark making is a process integral to the way I design, essentially it is at the very core of the ideas I choose to explore. My work takes on a transient nature with delicate flowing lines that echo a rhythm. This rhythm has led me to the layering of sheet materials. Repetition is also a fundamental aspect to the way I construct my designs by building flat elements into a 3d form.
The complex linear patterns in my work have drawn me to using new technologies such as 3d software, rapid prototyping and laser cutting. These give my designs a controlled fluidity and accuracy. Multiple layers cast subtle shadows that accentuate the quality of line that is central to my work.
Predominately, I work with wood that is laser cut. The tactile, symbolic and inherent qualities of wood appeal to me. Its smell, texture and grain draw me closer to working with it. As the laser pierces through the material, it leaves a burnt edge. This mark left as a result of the lasers heat symbolises the action of depositing led on to paper as I would do in a drawing.
By using laser cutting I am applying a new and exciting way of working with one of the oldest materials known to man. The meeting of innovation and tradition challenges contemporary jewellery. With the use of wood, I am questioning the traditional notions of preciousness, In using new technologies as a tool, I am questioning existing perceptions of craft”.

Text from the website; http://www.anthonyroussel.co.uk/

From; http://www.18kt.blogspot.com/


No comments: