Thursday, May 31, 2007

Statement från alla deltagare i on-line projektet 2005 - 2007.

Marie Asbjørnsen.

The first years I worked with jewellery, I mainly used silver as material in my work. But some years ago, while I was studying at The National Collage of Art and Design in Norway, I saw an exhibition of toys, made by children from all over the world, where everything was made out of colourful garbage. These objects impressed me and inspired me so much, that I decided to start working with recycled materials myself.

During the last years, I have travelled to South Africa, Namibia and Mali, to dig deeper into cultures where recycling is a necessity and a common way of thinking. I have been looking for all kinds of things made out of waste; toys, jewellery, sculptures, furniture and shelters. The creativity and the strong will of looking for possibilities rather than despair, has made a strong impression on me. Being back in Norway, I have tried to learn from what I have seen, about turning trash into treasure.

My jewellery, which earlier would be made out of valuable materials, are now made out of colourful daily waste.



Anni Jonsson.

My inspiration for this project has been everyday life. When I lost a member of the family it struck me how the time in between important events seems to be what you really miss when you lose somebody dear to you. All the time that passes without really paying any attention...
That inspired me to explore my silver-recycling bin and look closer at all the pieces of scrap-silver that was cut out and left over. The pieces that were never used. The space in between. I used these forgotten leftover pieces of silver for this project. I also worked with fabrics from clothes which belonged to this person.
For me the exiting thing about using recycled materials in jewellery is all the memories that are attached to objects used by people.


Maria Rodrigues.

I remember some of the jewellery neighbours and relatives wore around their necks. It was made of two pieces of material that hang form a silky thread.
On these pieces was embroidered the symbols of Jesus meant to protect the user from the devil. Therefore, one on the front and another on the back.

My pieces are about an inner prayer, an inner complaint, a wish, and a secret feeling. The text is formulated like a pun of words. They are about the duality and ambivalence of feelings.

The materials used on my pieces are taken from old clothes, embroidered cloths, curtains and lace inherited from an old lady. By using these materials I wish to make visible values about to go lost.


My work makes reference to the essence of the person in the consumer society.

Words from the consumer society:

“You are what you own and the more you own, the happier you will be.
In a consumer society, people use spending and materialism as a way to build a new ego
or become a new person by buying products which support their self image
In the consumer society you have to pay to be”


Marta Miguel.

The satisfactions of this world are like honey on the edge of a knife, I lick it and appreciate the pleasant thing of its flavour, soon another sensation controls to first: then I have cut myself .I don’t want to be not worried and to be a person who travel by the life and can not see what I must to see. I don’t want to watch outwards and to break away from myself. I have accelerated the rate of my life and I am less patient.

About how recycling is a good as it gets but only if I do it and I don´t forget
If we put our heads together our earth will be alife for ever
My way to recycle is a way to pay my ecological debt
Plastic is one of the most I produce like exhausted.
Red the life’s colour, the white is the purity and the golden and blue colour the love and the soul of each one of us.


Paula Lindblom.

QWERTY
Have you ever asked yourself why the letters of a typewriter’s keyboard are placed in the order they are?
- No, I have never asked myself that question.
- We can call this keyboard QWERTY, the first keys of the upper row are placed like thatThe first typewriter was invented by Christopher Scholes in 1873, in order to improve the calligraphy. However, soon a problem arose, when the typebars jammed against each other and made it impossible to write.To solve this, Christopher Scholes designed the keyboard QWERTY, a keyboard which should force the user to write more slowly to keep the type arms from jamming. Typewriter keyboards, that in time became computer keyboards, were from the beginning designed for slower writing and not faster.

From Paulo Coelho’s “Veronika decide morrer”.
Translated by Christina Hallberg.


Paula Lindblom about the work and the ideas behind…

I started the on-line project in 2005 to establish a professional environment, where I could still be working from my little corner of the world. Internet makes it happen. www.jewelleryproject.blogspot.com

I have always been fascinated by “recycling” or reusage, to make new use of everyday things. To transform, to put in a different context.
As Pippi Longstocking says: Finders keepers.
That is how I relate to reuse and jewellery.
What I find both at home, in nature - in the form of waste or other natural materials - and at flea markets, forms the base for my attitude to resident shapes and expressions.

I want the original material and its shape to be visible, first to appear as a piece of jewellery, but by a closer look to come out as things of everyday life …

I have visited Cape Town, South Africa, to study reutilisation and recycling.
During my travels I had the opportunity to see incredible trinkets and art pieces including small glass beads, and upon my return my jewellery features such glass beads. Contrast and addition in communicating shape.

My jewellery is inspired from different regions of Africa, mixed with my own daily surroundings. Unisex is one aim with my jewellery.

My motto is: Curious about life.

Translated by David Bauner.

No comments: